Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday, May 22nd

As you can see my mom posted some new pictures of me with a pink firetruck.  This is an organization that tours 40 different firetrucks world wide promoting awareness and fundraising for female cancers.  We were fortunate enough to have them come to Stockton.  Mom, our neighbor Vangie (Uterine cancer survivor) and myself went to the event.  The entire fire engine is covered with messages and signatures that people have written on there with a sharpie pen.
If you would like more information or want to see a video here is the link: www.pinkfiretrucks.org.

Big day of appointments tomorrow: oncologist, infusion center to have my port flushed and blood drawn, MeriAnne, and my first appointment with my primary care provider (PCP).  They told me at the start of chemo that I needed to establish with a PCP and I'm finally doing it.

On Saturday I attended a continuing medical education symposium on Ovarian Cancer.  I've been quite emotional lately and was practically in tears during the first 5 minutes.  It is very hard to be the Nurse Practitioner and the patient.  There was a lot of discussion on the latest clinical trials but it was just said again and again about the 30% 5 year survival which is so daunting to think about.

Other than that I continue to have severe aches in my muscles and bones.  Vangie says she still has this also and her last round of chemo was 6 months ago.  I will do all I can to make sure I don't have to continue to suffer with this pain for that long.

Hope you all are doing well.  I've gotten a few emails from people lately. Thank you for letting me know you are out them and still reading my posts.  Thank you also for the continued support.  It seems a lot of the recovery now is emotional.  I should know in a few days what my latest cell counts are also-hopefully there will be an improvement.
Denise

4 comments:

Cindy Riley said...

The fire truck is soo cool!! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,
Tell your Mom thanks for posting the pictures. It make sense to me that your emotions are more intense now that you don't have chemo to focus on and you have to wait for results. Of course, I know you're still very focused on healing. Allow yourself to be "real", be patient with your emotions, and that incredibly positive attitude of yours will shine through! I love you cuz!

ryukyusoul said...

Denise - I love the photos! In awe (but not surprised) to read about the 5K - and attending symposiums! about hearing the prognosis, I recall reading Norman Cousins and how he felt about western medicine's sometimes harmful way of explaining to patients the "stats." He is the reason why I believe laughter, humor, attitude is so important. And I'm so happy to hear you are getting acupuncture and continuing to see MeriAnne. I have such faith in you! Thank you again (and again, and again) for your courage and inspiration!

Angie said...

Hi my friend, i love to read your post and see your up date pictures cuz is the only way i can see you since we are far away from you. I love to see your smiling all the time eventhough you have being though a lot rough times. Hang in there my friend, take care say hi to the fam., the kids say hi to you. God bless you my friend. Love ya.


Dr. Oliver