Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wednesday, March 2, 2011-Chemo Round 4

Well today was round 4 of chemo and unfortunately it was without event.  The nurses could not get a withdraw of blood out of my chest port and therefore it could not be used to administer the chemo.  This meant that they had to start an IV (usually not a good experience for me, especially after using chemo).  I was rather adamant and told them they had only one try.  My friend Susan, the charge nurse, got it on the first try on the underside of my wrist (very painful IV site).  I was able to do my meditation while getting the chemo and held the chemo bag in my hands before it was started to try to blend our energies (I know this is very far out there for you Western Medicine people, but these are very small measures in order to prevent some very uncomfortable side effects). 
After chemo I had to go to Radiology for chest x-ray to see if the port is still in place.  They debated whether to do a dye contrast to check for a clot but decided against it.  Susan believes the port is probably kinked where it goes around my collar bone.   I have to do back tomorrow for TPA treatment. This is a medicine they use to try to dissolve a blood clot if one is in there.  They will administer a small amount of the TPA to fill up the catheter and leave it sitting in there for two hours. Then they will extract the TPA and hope that it looks bloody indicated it dissolved a clot and then my blood should flow freely from the port. If this does not work than I have to go under the knife again and have the port surgically repaired. 
I addition to my port fun tomorrow I meet with MerriAnn, my energy healer.  So she is going to be working on eliminating some of the side effects (having bowel issues already, only hours after finishing chemo), and teaching another healing meditation.  
I hope I have energy to post tomorrow and hope that it is all good news for you.  Even if I am unable to post I'll have mom post so you all know how things turned out. 
And for all of you waiting for the pic with the wig it should be coming soon!
Thank you again for all you support and your encouraging blogs you are sending back to me.  They don't go unnoticed.  While I'm in a moment a gratitude I'd like to send a shout out to Jacqueline who, of course, was at chemo again today;  Kathy Walker and Jeannie Putz for sending greeting cards at least weekly and Paula for making me oodles of hats ( I think 7 or 8 in total).  Everyone has been so good to me and I love that you are all in my life!!!!! :)
Denise

No comments:


Dr. Oliver